The tile mosaics using small pieces of colored tiles in a pattern to create a design. The tiles can be placed on surfaces flat and cover tables, wood, stone or concrete. The tiles and grout used to create mosaics can be found in craft stores and hardware stores. When you want to create your first mosaic tile design, start with a small project to get used to the technique before starting major projects such as creating a mosaic wall.
You will need
- Flat surface
- Pencil Tracing paper
- Colorful tiles
- Tile adhesive
- A palette
- Draw a freehand design on a flat surface using a pencil. You can also plot a drawing on tracing paper and then draw it on the surface.
- Buy small tiles in a craft store or hardware store. If you need to cut out the pieces, you can rent or buy a short tiles from a hardware store. Choose the variety of colors you want to create your design.
- Place the tiles on the drawing using tile adhesive, you can buy at a craft store or hardware store. Apply glue on tile following the manufacturer’s instructions and place it in the desired pattern.
- Glue each piece to completely cover the surface of the drawing.
- Let the glue dry according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Prepare the grout according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Spread it evenly over the tiles using a trowel and in the spaces between the tiles. Remove excess grout with trowel and then clean the surface with a damp sponge.
- Allow the grout to dry according to the manufacturer’s instructions before putting the mosaic for display.
Tips and Warnings
- Work in a well-ventilated when cutting tiles or when you’re applying the grout. This can stain so you should protect your workplace before implementing it.